• Sovereign Way, Trafalgar Industrial Estate, Downham Market, Norfolk PE38 9SW
  • Monday-Friday
    9:00 am - 17:00
Call EOC Services today

01366 384200

Email EOC Services today

enquiries@eocservices.co.uk

close
Home » Air Source Heat Pumps » How Heat Pumps Work

How Heat Pumps Work

How Heat Pumps Work

How Do They Work and Are They Worth It?

A guide to the benefits and costs involved with air source heating.

Air source heat pumps are an efficient, clean and environmentally friendly heating system capable of delivering warmth throughout your home or business premises. With the potential to save money on your energy bills and reduce your impact on the environment, it’s no surprise more and more people are opting for air source heat pump systems.

An air source heat pump works using electricity, but up to 70% of the heat is taken from the environment, meaning the heat output is greater than the electricity input, making them a sustainable and cost-effective alternative to traditional heating systems.

An increasingly popular alternative way to heat your home or office, air source heating is approximately 3-5 times more efficient than a traditional gas boiler. Therefore, you really can save a significant amount of money on your energy bills with air source heating.

How Does an Air Source Heat Pump Work?

Air source heat pumps work in a similar way to a refrigerator, just in reverse. Air from the environment is used to convert a refrigerant from a liquid to a gas, before being compressed. The heat generated in this process is then passed to air or water and used to warm the building through underfloor heating or radiators.

As a result of gaining most of their energy from the environment, air source heat pumps are extremely energy efficient, do not rely on fossil fuels and cut your carbon emissions. Domestic systems often absorb heat from the external environment and release it through the building in the form of hot water, utilising standard heating hardware such as radiators or underfloor heating.

Is an Air Source Heat Pump Worth It?

Yes. As a renewable energy source, air source heat pumps are a great alternative to traditional heating systems that will save you money on your energy bills, as well as reduce your carbon footprint.

A key benefit of air source heat pumps is the cost: air source heat pumps are very affordable to run when compared to conventional heating, and the cost of installation is quickly outweighed by the long term reduced running cost of the system. Up to 70% of the energy used in an air source heat pump is gathered from the environment, and the other 30% from electricity, making it extremely affordable.

Air source heat pumps are also very versatile, and work well in either commercial or domestic settings, given the buildings are well insulated. They can also be used to heat either air or water, depending on your needs, as well as some systems being able to cool instead of heat.

How Much Does an Air Source Heat Pump Cost?

The exact cost of air source heat pump installation varies depending on brand/supplier, as well as the size of the property that needs heating. Although often slightly more expensive than traditional gas or electric systems to install, the reduced running costs offset this and more in the long term!

Modern gas boilers are more than 90% efficient, and electric heaters 100%. Air source heat pump efficiency can be up to 4x better than either of these! This higher efficiency reduces running costs greatly.

To further reduce both the environmental impact and the running costs, the Daikin Altherma can be installed with solar panels which provide free and renewable electricity to power your air source heat pump system.

Get in touch with the experts at EOC Services on 01366 384 200 to discuss the cost of installing an air source heat pump in your home or commercial setting.

Are There Grants For Air Source Heat Pumps?

The Boiler Upgrade Scheme (BUS) supports the decarbonisation of heat in buildings. It provides upfront capital grants to support the installation of heat pumps in homes and non-domestic buildings in England and Wales.

Some of Our Air Source Heat Pump Clients